Just a few minutes ago, the 4 hour long radio show The State of Steem Forum #2 ended.
It was mainly about Technology regarding Steem (API nodes, RocksDB, SMTs, RC Delegation Pools, Account Creation), but drifted heavily towards development.
I gave my thoughts here and there about the different topics. However, just now, after the show ended, I realised how passioned I was about a certain topic. Now, I felt it while I was talking about it, as well. But the aftermath is, that I feel quite exhausted.
Why? Well, because it's a damn important topic.
Optimism & Realism
Sorry for the strong word.
It's just - I'm normally the optimistic person here on Steem. You probably have read at least one of my posts in the last month. And in them, I usually talk about how important it is to keep a positive mindset, which is something I truly believe in.
However, even if a positive mindset is important, realism is essential as well. And sometimes, reality just kicks in - and a shift in thinking is necessary.
Now, I want to say one thing first: all the people on the show were amazing - I felt the passion every single one of them had for Steem. I had a lot of fun on the show, and I'm very grateful for it.
Especially, since it brought me to a very important topic.
Steem is lacking in development
And with that I don't only mean Steem as in the blockchain, but also in Steem as an eco-system. (tools & apps for Steem)
Now, please don't get me wrong - we've got great projects on Steem (Steem Monsters, Utopian, Dtube, Partiko, Steempress, +30-40 more), but is that really all, for a blockchain, which is 2 1/2 years old?
The only real desktop wallet Steem has, was updated about a year ago. And keychain (like metamask) was only released 2 months ago.
As much as I know that the 53th place on CMC for Steem is not good enough, I don't really believe in it's current state it deserves to be at the top.
EOS is only half a year old and has already tripple the amount of apps, than Steem. It has a newer technology with faster block-times and is attracting more developers than Steem. Even two of our most important community developers on Steem saw a future in EOS - which I'm not condemning in any way, but it's a fact and we have to take this fact seriously.
Now, am I saying that Steem as a technology is not good enough?
Not at all, but over time - this gab between Steem's tech and the state of the art will become bigger and bigger. And if we're not able to change something, the best developers will not choose a 2 1/2 years old blockchain, but probably something else.
I'm with Steem - but something has to change
Before you might think otherwise: I'm still with Steem.
I've build quite a few projects here already (https://therealwolf.me/projects) and am planing to continue my path on Steem as developer, witness & steempreneur.
However, a good amount of realism is important and something needs to change.
- We need to attract more a+ app developers (like crypto.talk) and give them an incentive to build their app on Steem instead of on EOS, Ethereum, NEO or any other blockchain.
- We need to attract a+ blockchain developers, so we're not dependant on Steemit Inc. (I'm honestly tired of running around the tree talking about the fact that Steem needs RC Pool delegations, Incentivised Downvote and other important changes, only to realise nobody is able to implement it and Steemit Inc doesn't have time. And what good is a community repo, if nobody uses it?!)
- We need to keep the developers, entrepreneurs & project, who are already on Steem, here on Steem! (Could you imagine what would happen if Utopian or Dtube would decide to leave for another blockchain? Not saying that they would, but they are still businesses and if Steem wouldn't recover ..)
- We need to have a landing app for Steem users, which doesn't look like it's been in maintenance for 2 years. Besides the redesign to green, nothing much has happened to condenser since I'm here. Please don't get me wrong - this is not an attack against Steemit Inc, but a statement of what is currently wrong)
- We need to make sure witnesses have an incentive to keep building. I know, after HF 16 and the major cut-off of witness rewards, the only task for witnesses is in making sure the blockchain runs - and I agree. But there are a lot of (backup) witnesses who do major work for Steem's success (just naming a few: Holger80 with beem, emrebeyler with dpolls, wise.team with engrave & wise, and of course myself) - but the rewards we're receiving, it's not much of an incentive. (On EOS it's normal for block producers to provide A+ tools, why not here as well?)
And last but not least:
- We need to use this god damn but amazing reward pool to incentivise value creation for Steem. Over 20 Million Steem has been generated through inflation this year alone and just a friction of it has been powered up. Most of it was probably sold. I personally, have powered up 99% of it and my plan is to keep it this way. I've even powered up every post for the last 30 days - thousands of Steempower)
I'm not writing this post to take a sh*t on Steem - not at all.
I'm writing it, because I care about Steem - probably too much.
I want it to succeed, but I'm honestly not sure if we will ever reach anywhere near of the TOP 20/10 if we keep on the path, we've been on for the last year. (2 1/2 years)
Is the possibility of Steem 2.0 being created on EOS a real threat? Definitely - without a doubt. And even if not, technology is advancing extremely fast.
Normally, I'd say that we have time - but the reality is: we don't.
The longer we wait, the more competitive the market becomes.
Will it be easy? Not at all.
Do I know exactly what needs to be changed, besides what I've listed? No.
But what I do know is the following
Support the right projects & people on Steem
The same way, this bear market in crypto has forced people to stop believing in ICO hypes and invest people in real products that bring value - in the same way, we have to make sure our actions on Steem are supporting the right people & projects.
Do we want more Partikos, Steem Monsters, Utopians & SteemApps.com or do we want more lazy people, cashing out Steem?
Now, when I say we - I don't mean to tell you what you have to do. If you think I'm an idiot and wrong, that's fine, but if you believe that what I'm saying is true - then feel adressed with we.
I truly believe that the biggest strength this blockchain has are its people - its community - including YOU!.
I personally have decided that I will focus the next year on Steem (as I've done this year) - as long as I see that this community is making the right decisions.
Are we going to attract more Dtubes, Steemhunts & top notch developers? Are we able to develop the blockchain without relying on Steemit Inc?
Or are those just empty words, we're going to talk about every few months?
Are we going to find ways to solve the problems Steem has, to secure its success in the future and bring it back to its place in the TOP 10?
If the answer is yes, then please comment under this post what you think needs to change and what you can do to bring Steem into the right direction. I will read and answer every single on of them (as long as they're valuable).
We need less theoretic talk and more doing!
The future of Steem is relying on you - and me - and us.
WE ARE STEEM!
Do you believe that my work is valuable for Steem? Then please vote for me as witness.